24 November 2014

Find me these slippers!...

These are my dainty trotters feet...


and those tartan / plaid pom pom things on my feet are slippers.

I've been wearing the same slippers since I was about eighteen
well not these actual slippers obviously!
I mean the same style of slippers
(except for a couple of years when I defected to some plain black Japanese looking ones)
anyway...
When I was younger I liked being a bit kooky wearing what were basically 'old ladies' slippers
(that 's fashion students for you)
but they were / are also really comfortable
so much so that I often wore them driving to pick up my son after a late night out
(usually wearing pyjamas as well but we'll not go there)

In fact... I've been wearing these style of slippers indoors and outdoors for mumble mumble years
and have bought so many pairs I must have practically kept them in business
Obviously not! because they've stopped making the dam things! 

What am I going to wear now?
these slippers are part of my life history I kid you not!
so much so, that when a couple of weeks ago we were watching films of my son's christening and birthdays which I'd recently had transferred onto dvds, the man and son were in fits of laughter, as all you ever saw of me were shots from the slippers to the waist, (usually in a dressing gown on Christmas morning) wandering into shot asking if anyone wanted a cup of tea.
It was like watching one of those fantastic Tom and Jerry cartoons they showed at 6pm every evening before the news years ago, remember that?



and I had the part of 'Mammy Two Shoes' (no I didn't know that was her name either - thank you wikipedia) the maid who you only saw from her slippers to her large bosoms, bustling around the house shouting "Jaaaasper!"

  
The slippers are / were made by Pirelli and have gone through a few changes, this well loved pair found online from jowaterhouse.blogspot.co.uk is how they looked for years, with little eyelet fastenings.  

Below are the incarnation I own at the moment, note the removal of the eyelets, what's that in aid of? trying to save costs, or perhaps the ridiculous 'health and safety' brigade we have in this country declared they were dangerous as we might swallow them? yes of course I often sit watching television with one foot in my mouth chewing my slippers! 

After finding out Pirelli aren't making them any more I've tried desperately to find a new pair, a search online brought up these horrible copies and even those were marked 'sold out'

So here's the deal...
FIND ME SOME OF MY SLIPPERS  PLEASE
(obviously these are only going to be found in the UK)
There have to be a few old fashioned shoe shops left out there with a couple of dusty boxes of size 6 'old lady slippers' tucked away on a shelf somewhere

photo - http://www.shaggybevo.com/
 If you know where there are some or find any can you please let me know? x
    

26 comments:

  1. Part of my life too because these cosy slippers symbolise my dear Granny Reading for me and she would be 116 if she was alive today. I can't believe that they didn't become extinct by the mid 1970s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it with me...I shall search the south coast until I find your slipper! (good idea for a pantomime?)
    Perhaps a decent pom pom would make the ugly sister bearable? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes kind of like a backwards version of cinderella, you've been left with the woman instead of her slipper, tally forth my minions scour the country... x

      Delete
  3. I shall keep my eyes peeled for them. I'm up to the big smoke on Friday, so if I find them i will let you know.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic thank you, then I can go and buy them when I'm up there again. x

      Delete
  4. I've been looking for these too!! I also used to wear them when I was an art student, and just recently thought how it would be brilliant to have them again. I was hoping they still made them, so I'm rather sad to hear your news. Let's keep searching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep an eye on this post in case we get lucky, what size are you looking for?

      Delete
    2. Size 8 - I have great big plates...

      Delete
    3. That's OK then, I don't have to fight you naked in a bath of jelly for them, maybe just Mrs Bertimus if she's the same size.

      Delete
  5. I will search for you chuck, especially because now I Want some too! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK thank you... but I'm not fighting anyone naked in a bath of jelly for them if there's only one pair left ! well... maybe.

      Delete
  6. Humm, I will look for you next time I go to Bexhill on Sea. Its the kind of sleepy place that drops its average age by 50% when I (a woman of somewhat dubious age) go there. I'm sure there will be something there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=vintage+slippers&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xvintage+granny+slippers&_nkw=vintage+granny+slippers&_sacat=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LADIES LOOK THE WONDERFUL ECO ETHEL HAS FOUND A NEW PAIR UP FOR SALE ON EBAY AND THEY ARE ALMOST JUST DOWN THE ROAD FROM ME - UNFORTUNATELY MY BEING ONE OF THE UGLY SISTERS WITH SIZE 6 FEET AND NOT CINDERELLA AT SIZE 4 MEANS I WOULD BE PLAYING THE FULL PANTOMIME PART AND HAVING TO CUT MY TOES OFF TO GET INTO THEM, SO IF THESE ARE FOR YOU THERE'S 6 DAYS LEFT TO GO ON THE AUCTION AT THE MOMENT. THANK YOU SO MUCH ETHEL HOPEFULLY SOMEONE WILL BUY THEM. X

      Delete
    2. How sad am I looking for granny slippers?...glad the link worked...what a shame they're too big. I have put a request out for you on my blog as I want to be a fairy godmother when I grow up...you shall go to the ball. xx

      Delete
  8. Hello, Did you have any joy? As my Mom is looking for a pair. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try here... http://www.footsure.net/GBS/LadiesTraditional/odettecheck-47.html#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kerry, I'm very sorry not to have replied, for some reason your emails sailed past me, thank you again. x

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Do you still have these!? Long shot I know.. x

      Delete
    2. Sorry Emma, this is a very old post, the lady you're replying to (above) may not be available to answer now.

      Delete
  11. I’m now searching for these slippers for my mum and what a nightmare I’m havibg. We live in the uk so they are almost impossible to find. She would need a size 7. Anyone know please let me know :-)... x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any luck with finding your slippers - I have been searching for some for years ever since my last pair disintegrated and had to be thrown away (sob). I too wore them ever since I was a student in the 70's. I did once have a ghastly fake copy and the cat went mental and ripped the pom poms to shreds so I was never sure what they were actually made of...
    I am after a size 8 if you find that warehouse full of old stock! Lin x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Linda, they seem to have been totally discontinued now, if I ever come across them I'll reply to all who are looking x

      Delete

Thank you very much for taking the time to visit and comment ♥
I don't open Anonymous comments as they are always spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...